Too simple design - Feature request

TM123

Too simple design - Feature request

Post by TM123 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:05 am

I was testing SUMo and I am only partly content with it.

In my opinion the program simplifies the updates too much.
There are reasons why a user has installed several versions of a program on the computer.
Sometimes the newer one has less features or some addons/plugins won't work anymore or the older ones don't work under Windows 10 but I have to make sure that I use the same version for data exchange or...

Lets assume I have on my computer installed
company A product A version 6.1.2.8
company A product A version 7.0.4.5
company A product A version 8.0.1.13

It many cases it does not help to know that there is for version 6 & 7 an update 8.0.2.0 available (since it is not a free update).
I have to be able to differ between an update within the same main version and an update to another main version.

Strange,
I restarted now the program. Yesterday it showed me for version 6, 7 and 8 that an update is available.
But now it tells me that all versions are fine. (same SUMo version).
So I have suddently 4 entries. All with 'Update OK'

I deinstalled version 7.04 and installed version 7.0.3.
Now SUMo reports for 8.0.1 & 8.0.2 Update=OK
but for 6.1.2 and 7.0.3 that an update is available (7.0.4)

Why SUMo reports suddenly again for version 6 that an update is available? And why version 7 and not version 8?

I have the two latest versions of ABBYY Finereader installed. (12 and 14). Both versions are up-to-date.
But for version 12 it tells me that there is an update available (version 14). Would it be different if there would have been a version 13 installed on my computer? A version which does not exist?

Sometimes I want that SUMo stops reporting updates. This is mainly the case when the program is not supported anymore and I am sure that there won't be any updates for that specific version.
It is nice to have the ignore list for that case - BUT it is too simple designed.
I cannot ignore company A product A since in that case all products A will be ignored.

There has to be a way that I ignore
company A product A main version 6 only
and that
company A product A main version 8
won't be ignored.

And why I cannot cancel the loading process at program start? A click on the 'x - close window' does not have any effect.

Where from do you retrieve the company information? From the copyright property?

TM123

Re: Too simple design - Feature request

Post by TM123 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:50 am

I would like to have added another feature to the ignore list.

Please add a boolean value which let me say that only the build number should be ignored (and not the whole procuct).

Some programs you can update only via internal update routines.
And they ignore sometimes builds

Example (again ABBYY):
ABBYY ScreenshotReader - installed 12.0.101.483, SUMO reports 12.0.101.496
It is impossible to update to that version since the software says up-to-date.

Therefore it is sometimes good to have an option for a specific product to ignore the build.

Btw - for the main program
http://www.kcsoftwares.com/sumo/view.ph ... pany=ABBYY
the build 496 was marked as beta.

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Re: Too simple design - Feature request

Post by Kyle_Katarn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:32 am

Thank you very much. I'll look into this comment and see how i can make SUMo better.

Please note that you can directly change / feature requests directly in our change system here : https://www.kcsoftwares.com/bugs/changelog_page.php