View Issue Details

IDProjectCategoryView StatusLast Update
0005828SUMo ServerBugpublic2020-02-02 19:02
Reporterfrank479 Assigned ToKyle_Katarn  
PrioritynormalSeverityminorReproducibilityhave not tried
Status closedResolutionreopened 
PlatformPCOSWindowsOS Version10
Summary0005828: SUMo reporting a beta version when Allow Beta versions is not checked
DescriptionFile: My Notes Keeper
Company: www.mynoteskeeper.com

I have latest version as reported by the website: 3.9.2.2113
Website, same page, reports there is also a beta version available: 3.9.3.2141
They even say: "This is a beta version! Please use it only for test purposes!"
http://www.mynoteskeeper.com/download.html

SUMo is showing this as an update for me even though I do not have betas checked.
TagsNo tags attached.

Activities

frank479

2020-01-26 04:40

reporter   ~0003837

This issue was not fixed. I updated to SUMo 5.10.7.442, ran the scan, and it is still showing me that an update is available 3.9.3.2141 which is the beta. I do not have Allow Beta versions checked.

Kyle_Katarn

2020-01-26 10:21

administrator   ~0003838

OK, under monitoring
Too few users to get reliable results for this one... i'd suggest right click > Skip > 1 month if problem persists.

frank479

2020-01-27 03:11

reporter   ~0003839

I'm confused. It seems like your fix should either work or not work. I've been right-clicking and skipping it for months before I decided to report it. I guess if you had said, "I tested it and it works for me so I'm not sure what's going on for you... skip it for now and give the server time to propagate the change I made"... I might have understood better what you were saying. But, it sounds like your fix for me is to just keep ignoring it. So, obviously I'm missing something. What happened when you tested it? What does this issue have to do with other people reporting it? Weren't you able to reproduce it?

And since I'm telling you it's not fixed, can we leave this ticket open?

Kyle_Katarn

2020-01-27 20:37

administrator   ~0003842

ok, to be monitored.

frank479

2020-02-02 10:54

reporter   ~0003844

Upgraded tonight to 5.10.8.443. Problem appears to be solved. MusicBee is also reporting correctly (was reporting beta version as well).

Issue History

Date Modified Username Field Change
2020-01-21 09:41 frank479 New Issue
2020-01-25 10:05 Kyle_Katarn Project SUMo => SUMo Server
2020-01-25 10:05 Kyle_Katarn Assigned To => Kyle_Katarn
2020-01-25 10:05 Kyle_Katarn Status new => resolved
2020-01-25 10:05 Kyle_Katarn Resolution open => fixed
2020-01-26 04:40 frank479 Status resolved => feedback
2020-01-26 04:40 frank479 Resolution fixed => reopened
2020-01-26 04:40 frank479 Note Added: 0003837
2020-01-26 10:21 Kyle_Katarn Status feedback => resolved
2020-01-26 10:21 Kyle_Katarn Note Added: 0003838
2020-01-26 10:21 Kyle_Katarn Resolution reopened => fixed
2020-01-27 03:11 frank479 Status resolved => feedback
2020-01-27 03:11 frank479 Resolution fixed => reopened
2020-01-27 03:11 frank479 Note Added: 0003839
2020-01-27 20:37 Kyle_Katarn Note Added: 0003842
2020-02-02 10:54 frank479 Note Added: 0003844
2020-02-02 19:02 Kyle_Katarn Status feedback => closed