Differences: Remove v. Ignore/Check v. Scan

coyote

Differences: Remove v. Ignore/Check v. Scan

Post by coyote »

I'm unsure of some distinctions.

When do I Remove vs. Ignore? For example: When SUMo suggests an update I've already installed? Or that I just don't want to install?

I see that when a new version of SUMo comes out, it wants to Scan. Until another new version comes out, can I simply Check instead of Scanning too?

I run SUMo daily (I love it!), with (IIRC) default Settings:
SUMoSettings2018-02-24jpg.jpg
SUMoSettings2018-02-24jpg.jpg (29.1 KiB) Viewed 8501 times
(I like that as soon as I manually run SUMo, it automatically checks for updates to my software programs.)

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Re: Differences: Remove v. Ignore/Check v. Scan

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

Delete : Remove item from the list BUT it will appear again after a new scan or manual addition
Ignore : This item will disappear definitively (Ignored items list can be edited from action menu)
Skip update : "hides" a specific update for X days

2. Yes, and if no new version comes out for a while and if you installed new software, running a new manual scan is still an option.

coyote

Post by coyote »

Thank you very much, Kyle! I'm impressed by your responsiveness.

Your reply prompted me to try right-click: I never saw those options before!

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

coyote wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:22 pm
Thank you very much, Kyle! I'm impressed by your responsiveness.

Your reply prompted me to try right-click: I never saw those options before!
you're welcome !
Should you have any feedback or additional question, please feel free to come back here

coyote

Post by coyote »

Kyle_Katarn wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:22 am
Ignore : This item will disappear definitively (Ignored items list can be edited from action menu)
Does "Ignore" only ignore (A) the specific update version, or (B) all update versions, of a given software title?

I've been assuming A; if B I'm not sure what to do, because...

I often get Updates identified for software I've already updated (this probably happens because in Settings I add the Additional custom folder that I use both to store all downloaded program installer exe files, *and* to actually install the ones that don't install to ProgramFiles), so I Ignore them. But now I'm wondering if I'll never see updates again for the programs I've ignored a specific update for!

Do I need to modify my practice to put my archives of program installer exe files in a separate folder from the place I actually install the ones that don't install to ProgramFiles?

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

Ignore => Remove a product from the list definitively (won't show any update)
Skip => Keeps item in list but "forget" a specific update (x.y.z.a) for a specified time (opt. forever)

coyote

Post by coyote »

Oops, thank you very much Kyle, I see I need to remove most everything from my Ignore list!

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

coyote wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:02 pm
Oops, thank you very much Kyle, I see I need to remove most everything from my Ignore list!
Probably ! Use skipped items list instead :)

coyote

Post by coyote »

One more thing I was reminded of after I ran a Check (a mistake I think, I'll run a Check again after the Scan I'm running now):

Often SUMo tells me of an Update, but when I go to the manufacturer's download page the Update isn't available. For example, during the Check I just ran by mistake, SUMo told me my version 4532 of ffdshow has an update, 4533...which doesn't appear on https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdsho ... stable%29/.

Is the best one can do in a situation like this to Skip for a time period chosen by how often I feel like going back there to see when 4533 is there? (In the past I've tried this and the update SUMo found didn't show up before I stopped trying.)

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn »

In such case :
- Right Click > Report error (or mail to me, or message in this forum)
- Right Click > Skip > 1 week