SUMo scanning resp. detection algorithm

scheff

Re: SUMo scanning resp. detection algorithm

Post by scheff » Sat May 11, 2019 3:57 pm

Kyle_Katarn wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:03 pm
Have you looked at SUMo logs in debug mode (lines added before & during the scan) ? This indicate where SUMo looks for links.
Should SUMo be missing a key source of information, please let me know :)
I've taken a look. And yes, there seem to be standard locations missing. See at note https://www.kcsoftwares.com/bugs/view.php?id=1607#c1006 in Mantis, the numbered list at the bottom of that note. Obviously the case mentioned last there (portable tools) is the case why the configuration option additional folders has been implemented in SUMo. So that part is already covered. This part cannot and should not be handled otherwise.

I also have seen a subset of locations of system tools being checked although not all. With system tools I mean tools coming either with the operating system or the system integrator being installed so deeply into the system that deinstallation is either disabled or requires a reboot. (There may be other reasons for needing reboot on deinstallation too.) You may take a look at the HP Support Assistant on its technical data tab at the bottom, providing the lists of integrator software, Microsoft software and third party software, all excluding Windows Apps introduced since Windows 8.

I'm not a subscriber to MSDN and didn't lookup if anywhere else information is spread about such standard locations for different installation scenarios like
  • system wide installation (partially but largely covered by SUMo)
  • installation for just one or a few local users (not yet covered, work-around: adding such standard folders as additional folders in the SUMo settings)
  • installation on the network or cloud and local access point (i.e. Microsoft OneDrive, DropBox, Google Drive and the like) (not yet covered, work-around: adding such standard folders as additional folders in the SUMo settings)
  • Windows Apps (introduced with Windows 8) (not yet covered, work-around: adding such standard folders as additional folders in the SUMo settings)

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Re: SUMo scanning resp. detection algorithm

Post by Kyle_Katarn » Sat May 11, 2019 5:19 pm

OK, thanks !