Sumo Countdown Timer In Close Button

mike88

Sumo Countdown Timer In Close Button

Post by mike88 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:45 pm

I'll try to be brief.I always download Sumo Lite from official page. On one of my computers could be some others as well with version 5.10.1.436 (32 bit) . Sumo Lite says "Thank you for using our software" . This is the header of a rectangular box. The red close button has a timer on it that count downs from 20 seconds. Was this normal in that version ?

I have subsequently downloaded 5.10.2.437 which doesn't have this behaviour. Also in windows 7 control programs it doesn't show 32 bit or 64 bit. My computer is 32 bit.

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Re: Sumo Countdown Timer In Close Button

Post by Kyle_Katarn » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Yes, change made as per : https://www.kcsoftwares.com/bugs/view.php?id=5473

Does this raise any problem or question ?

mike88

Post by mike88 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:23 pm

I cannot see how the bug report related to my problem with a countdown from 20 seconds appearing in the close button.
Also at the time relaunching Sumo Lite it became unresponsive. Clicking on "check" or "scan" did nothing.
However I uninstalled and reinstalled Sumo Lite on several machines and so far everything is back to normal.

In hindsight perhaps I should have checked the log file.

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:37 pm

sorry but... what is the problem with the countdown ??

Regarding program being irresponsive : likely due to "as per design" behavior when waiting for licence check from server. Should this happen again, please send me log file for analysis.

Thanks !!

scheff

Post by scheff » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:39 pm

mike88 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:23 pm
Also at the time relaunching Sumo Lite it became unresponsive. Clicking on "check" or "scan" did nothing.
However I uninstalled and reinstalled Sumo Lite on several machines and so far everything is back to normal.

In hindsight perhaps I should have checked the log file.
Not sure what you mean by unresponsive although I've some assumption. On startup of SUMo, it does at least load the data set of last detected tools and perform a "limited light scan". There is currently no configuration setting to disable this startup behaviour. If you've enabled status line, you may see some progress in popup window or status line for certain startup steps, not all.

If you've configured to detect most software tools installed, loading may take a considerable amount of time. After I initiate a SUMo scan action, the count temporarily increases beyond 25000 tools becoming consolidated to a bit more than 8500 tools. Loading takes between 20 and 30 minutes on my powerful notebook with much memory while the scan action itself takes about an hour. How many tools do you see reported (consolidated) by SUMo?

If you want that startup behaviour changed, you may open a feature request if not a corresponding one exists already. (Didn't check.) Please describe the changed desired behaviour resp. desired state after startup you want to see if your proposal gets accepted and implemented by KC Softwares developer. I don't expect it becoming changed for all users. Not sure if such a proposal gets agreement to become configurable.

If that behaviour is annoying you and want this to become less annoying, you may change the SUMo configuration to start not in your current mode but instead in minimzed mode as some users are already doing.

Kyle_Katarn
Site Admin

Post by Kyle_Katarn » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:59 pm

Correct.